Man City's Kevin De Bruyne decision 'makes sense' as talks revealed

https://www.footballinsider247.com/static/uploads/1/2025/04/Kevin-De-Bruyne-Pep-Guardiola-3-1024x579.jpg

Kevin De Bruyne is edging closer to a Man City exit with the midfielder yet to agree a new contract at the Etihad Stadium.

The Belgium international, who will turn 34 in June, can walk away from City for free at the end of the 2024-25 campaign.

The Mirror reported last month (23 March) that De Bruyne has held talks with US side San Diego FC about joining them when his contract at the Etihad expires. 

He has been with City since 2015 when he joined the club from Wolfsburg for £55million – and has won six Premier League titles under Pep Guardiola‘s tutelage.

Everton’s former chief Keith Wyness – who served as CEO at Goodison Park between 2004 and 2009 and now runs a football consultancy advising elite clubs – has backed both parties to come to a decision that “makes sense”.

De Bruyne has won six Premier League titles with Man City.

De Bruyne would be a ‘real asset’ for US football, says Wyness

Speaking on the new edition of Football Insider's Inside Track podcast, Wyness insisted the time is right for De Bruyne to leave Man City this summer.

The midfielder has made 31 appearances across all competitions this term in another season that has been affected by injury.

Wyness suggested De Bruyne may return to the City Football Group in a coaching or other capacity in the future.

Appearances (Starts)31 (19)
Minutes Played1698
Goals4
Assists7
Yellow Cards2
De Bruyne’s Man City stats in the 2024-25 campaign (all competitions)

He told Football Insider's Inside Track podcast: "I think there's two sides to this.

"There will be acknowledgement that he's been a great servant to the club, and also letting him have the exit that he wants at the time he wants.

"If he is going to stay, then I think his demands will be more than what City want to pay.

"I think City are looking to refresh the squad anyway. He's a quality player, but is he really at the right age?

"It suits both parties for him to move on.

"De Bruyne has been a superb servant for City, he's been instrumental – but it makes sense for him to go.

"He may play a role at some stage in the City Football Group in terms of coaching or another situation, he's a very bright guy.

"But getting his exposure in the MLS right now would be very good for him. I think he'd be a real asset for American football."

Mateo Kovacic could also depart Man City this summer. (Credit: Imago)

Reijnders could be De Bruyne replacement for Man City

Meanwhile, Football Insider revealed on Sunday (30 March) that Tijjani Reijnders will only sign for Man City this summer if they can free up space in their squad and shell out a £50million transfer fee.

Mateo Kovacic and Bernardo Silva could join De Bruyne in heading for the exit door with Guardiola’s side needing to free up space in their squad.

AC Milan star Reijnders is seen as a player who would fit seamlessly into City's midfield and provide the energy and creativity they've lacked this season.

For more Man City and exclusive news, follow us on Facebook or join our brand new WhatsApp Channel for instant updates to be sent straight to your phone.

The post Man City's Kevin De Bruyne decision 'makes sense' as talks revealed appeared first on Football Insider.

×